New Fritz Lang Blu-rays Question
Moo
2012-10-30 00:40:02 UTC
I still have a full screen TV. Does anyone know of either the MOC or Kino Die Niebulungen &/or the new Kino Early Lang br's allow zooming to defeat the window boxing? If not, I'll buy the dvd's.

Derek Gee
2012-10-30 02:56:26 UTC
Post by Moo
I still have a full screen TV. Does anyone know of either the MOC or Kino
Die Niebulungen &/or the new Kino Early Lang br's allow zooming to defeat
the window boxing? If not, I'll buy the dvd's.
Isn't that a function of the blu-ray player, not the disc?

hislop
2012-10-30 15:40:08 UTC
I still have a full screen TV. Does anyone know of either the MOC or Kino Die Niebulungen&/or the new Kino Early Lang br's allow zooming to defeat the window boxing? If not, I'll buy the dvd's.
What is the window boxing on a 'full screen' TV?
I think I just worked it out. I've never tried a bluray player on an
old CRT tv, but I would try the different settings in the setup menu.
There are quite a lot on a Sony bluray player.
Zoom controls are generally useless, only good for 4:3 letterboxed
2.35:1, which fills up a 16:9 screen on zoom. I just remembered zoom
controls only exist on 16:9 TVs.
I don't know about bluray authoring. I would look into it, about 4:3
settings. But I'm presuming there is really no anamorphic on bluray,
just 16:9. So if the picture is actually 16:9 and no other version,
then there is no real solution, except to get a DVD. I wonder what kind
of picture quality you expect with a bluray on an SDTV.
Derek Gee
2012-10-31 03:00:22 UTC
Post by hislop
Post by Moo
[...]
My Panasonic blu-ray will output a 16:9 aspect ratio picture to a CRT tv as
a letterboxed image. It doesn't zoom it.

If you have an old CRT tv and no plans to upgrade in the near future to
HDTV, then I'd stay with DVD. Buy combo DVD/Blu-ray sets where you can.

Derek
hislop
2012-10-31 04:45:14 UTC
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
Post by Moo
[...]
Last night I took the bluray of Wings 4:3 silent movie, and tried to get
it to show properly on my tv which was set to 4:3. This involved
setting the bluray player to output at 480p/576p. I could not get it to
look right.
I think the best was when I used the zoom on the tv as well, which can't
be done with a CRT tv. I tried various settings on the bluray player, I
now understand the problem. bluray just isn't in 4:3.
DVDs will have 4:3 which is then stretched to 16:9 (anamorphic). I
don't believe anything of the kind happens with bluray.
Derek Gee
2012-11-02 01:25:34 UTC
Post by hislop
Last night I took the bluray of Wings 4:3 silent movie, and tried to get
it to show properly on my tv which was set to 4:3. This involved setting
the bluray player to output at 480p/576p. I could not get it to look
right.
I think the best was when I used the zoom on the tv as well, which can't
be done with a CRT tv. I tried various settings on the bluray player, I
now understand the problem. bluray just isn't in 4:3.
DVDs will have 4:3 which is then stretched to 16:9 (anamorphic). I don't
believe anything of the kind happens with bluray.
Tell us more about your TV. An older CRT tv will not be able to display a
480p signal, only a 480i. Not sure what you're player will do without
looking at the manual. My Panasonic doesn't indicate it can display a 4:3
image at full 4:3 size on a CRT. I suspect it would windowbox the 4:3 image
within a letterboxed 16:9 image output to the CRT.

Derek
hislop
2012-11-02 15:43:58 UTC
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
Last night I took the bluray of Wings 4:3 silent movie, and tried to get
it to show properly on my tv which was set to 4:3. This involved setting
the bluray player to output at 480p/576p. I could not get it to look
right.
I think the best was when I used the zoom on the tv as well, which can't
be done with a CRT tv. I tried various settings on the bluray player, I
now understand the problem. bluray just isn't in 4:3.
DVDs will have 4:3 which is then stretched to 16:9 (anamorphic). I don't
believe anything of the kind happens with bluray.
Tell us more about your TV. An older CRT tv will not be able to display a
480p signal, only a 480i.
I thought of that afterwards, maybe makes no difference for this
experiment. I could set the bluray player output to 480i/576i. Any LCD
TV does some type of de-interlacing I think, like a computer does.

Post by Derek Gee
looking at the manual. My Panasonic doesn't indicate it can display a 4:3
image at full 4:3 size on a CRT. I suspect it would windowbox the 4:3 image
within a letterboxed 16:9 image output to the CRT.
With 480p/576p the tv signal will be 4:3. I set the TV to 'normal' for
that, 'full' is the stretched 16:9 for anamorphic.
Then I set the DVD/bluray player accordingly. I set the bluray output
to 4:3. It was the top of the range Sony one from earlier this year.
With 'normal' on the TV, it is identical to any 4:3 TV but with added
pillarboxing. You can't get the 'normal' option with HD.

There are a few variations for the player. 'original' or 'fixed ratio'
for example. I've only been using a player with HDMI this year. I've
discovered the odd DVD that has been set wrong, so you can't get a
proper 4:3 picture with the upconverted 1080 setting (the look is
entirely determined by the DVD's own details). I've actually fixed them
by reburning and using Ifoedit for changing the settings. There was a
series of Chaplin DVDs that seem to be all set wrong.
But I can do nothing for bluray on 4:3 the same way. Bluray authoring
is too arcane for me if it is even possible which I doubt.

I saw a lot of variations on the picture for Wings, all in 4:3,
letterboxed or squished for example. But no proper 4:3 without cheating
with the TV's zoom.
Derek
Derek Gee
2012-11-07 01:37:16 UTC
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
[...]
The only CRT's I know of that could display 480p were those EDTV (Enhanced
Definition) sets that were on the market for like 10 minutes before and just
after HD sets came out. An LCD set does indeed deinterlace 480i to 480p,
but I thought we were talking about a CRT set in this discussion.
Post by Derek Gee
looking at the manual. My Panasonic doesn't indicate it can display a 4:3
image at full 4:3 size on a CRT. I suspect it would windowbox the 4:3 image
within a letterboxed 16:9 image output to the CRT.
With 480p/576p the tv signal will be 4:3. I set the TV to 'normal' for
that, 'full' is the stretched 16:9 for anamorphic.
Then I set the DVD/bluray player accordingly. I set the bluray output to
4:3. It was the top of the range Sony one from earlier this year.
With 'normal' on the TV, it is identical to any 4:3 TV but with added
pillarboxing. You can't get the 'normal' option with HD.
Correct, I think you can't. The stretching only goes horizontal, not
vertical. The player is sending a letterboxed 4:3 image to TV, so I would
expect you'd either get a windowboxed 4:3 image in "normal" mode, or a
stretched 16:9 image in "full" mode. "Zoom" would blow it up to 4:3,
possibly cutting off critical image area.
Post by hislop
There are a few variations for the player. 'original' or 'fixed ratio'
for example. I've only been using a player with HDMI this year. I've
discovered the odd DVD that has been set wrong, so you can't get a proper
4:3 picture with the upconverted 1080 setting (the look is entirely
determined by the DVD's own details). I've actually fixed them by
reburning and using Ifoedit for changing the settings. There was a series
of Chaplin DVDs that seem to be all set wrong.
But I can do nothing for bluray on 4:3 the same way. Bluray authoring is
too arcane for me if it is even possible which I doubt.
I think the player is depending on the anamorphic flag to be on or off.
Which Chaplin DVD's did you find had the problem? The MK2 / Warner ones?
Derek
hislop
2012-11-07 14:07:54 UTC
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
Post by hislop
There are a few variations for the player. 'original' or 'fixed ratio'
for example. I've only been using a player with HDMI this year. I've
discovered the odd DVD that has been set wrong, so you can't get a proper
4:3 picture with the upconverted 1080 setting (the look is entirely
determined by the DVD's own details). I've actually fixed them by
reburning and using Ifoedit for changing the settings. There was a series
of Chaplin DVDs that seem to be all set wrong.
But I can do nothing for bluray on 4:3 the same way. Bluray authoring is
too arcane for me if it is even possible which I doubt.
I think the player is depending on the anamorphic flag to be on or off.
Which Chaplin DVD's did you find had the problem? The MK2 / Warner ones?
MK2
flags set wrong
I recently got a Chinese made copy of 1949 Little Women with the same
problem.
It's only on output set to 1080p on the bluray player, no 4:3 possible
except by settings on actual DVD.
Derek
Derek Gee
2012-11-08 02:40:54 UTC
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
I think the player is depending on the anamorphic flag to be on or off.
Which Chaplin DVD's did you find had the problem? The MK2 / Warner ones?
MK2
flags set wrong
I recently got a Chinese made copy of 1949 Little Women with the same
problem.
It's only on output set to 1080p on the bluray player, no 4:3 possible
except by settings on actual DVD.
The only MK2 DVD I own is the "Gold Rush", and my Panasonic blu-ray player
displays it correctly as 4:3. Must be the others with the problem?

Derek
hislop
2012-12-05 16:35:19 UTC
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
I think the player is depending on the anamorphic flag to be on or off.
Which Chaplin DVD's did you find had the problem? The MK2 / Warner ones?
MK2
flags set wrong
I recently got a Chinese made copy of 1949 Little Women with the same
problem.
It's only on output set to 1080p on the bluray player, no 4:3 possible
except by settings on actual DVD.
The only MK2 DVD I own is the "Gold Rush", and my Panasonic blu-ray player
displays it correctly as 4:3. Must be the others with the problem?
Derek
I haven't tried them all.
If I have the bluray player set to normal SD output, then I can get it
to display correctly as 4:3 by setting the television to 'normal'.
It's when using the bluray player output set to 1080p that I can't get
4:3 with the television controls. It displays according to the settings
on the DVD itself. Almost all DVDs display at 4:3 that should, except
the Chaplin ones I mentioned.
I had the same problem as I recall with other MK2 DVDs of Truffaut movies.

I'm not sure why I didn't reply earlier.
The ifos are wrongly set to '16:9' instead of '4:3'.
These are PAL releases, maybe not released in the US.
Derek Gee
2012-12-10 00:29:06 UTC
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
[...]
If you're trying to input a 1080p signal from the Blu-ray to your CRT
full-screen TV, that's not going to work. Your CRT would have no idea what
to do with that signal. As you describe above, if you set it to SD output,
it works correctly. So why not do it that way?
Post by hislop
I'm not sure why I didn't reply earlier.
The ifos are wrongly set to '16:9' instead of '4:3'.
These are PAL releases, maybe not released in the US.
Bad authoring...

Derek
hislop
2012-12-10 13:34:29 UTC
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
[...]
This conversation has gone off. I'm not the one using a CRT TV of any
type. Naturally I would set the output of the player to SD (480/576).
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
I'm not sure why I didn't reply earlier.
The ifos are wrongly set to '16:9' instead of '4:3'.
These are PAL releases, maybe not released in the US.
Bad authoring...
Probably made in the days before upscaling DVD players were common.
Don't get me started on 4:3 letterboxed DVDs made well after 2000.
Derek
Derek Gee
2012-12-11 01:15:50 UTC
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
[...]
Sorry, I confused you with "Moo", who started off the original other post.
If you're trying to output to an HD set, and the player doesn't know what
the format is, it would cause a problem. For example, if the ifos are
wrongly set to '16:9' instead of '4:3', that would cause the player to
output the signal incorrectly, because it would think it should be expanded,
when in fact, it should be pillarboxed within the frame.

Derek
weary flake
2012-12-15 19:29:46 UTC
I don't quite follow this thread, but my Sony Blu/DVD
player came with a bad default setting of "original
aspect ratio" which, misleadingly, causes 4.3 to
stretch to widescreen, as when playing DVDs which
have both 4.3 and widescreen on it (such as 4.3
main program and widescreen menu or trailers or the
other way around). The correct setting with my TV is
"fixed aspect ratio". I put the blame entirely
on Sony for a bad default setting with misleading
names for settings and completely ignoring picture
stretching in it's troubleshooting guide, pretending
that picture stretching was not a severe defect that
would have caused me to return the TV or player if it
couldn't be fixed.
hislop
2012-12-16 13:55:10 UTC
Post by weary flake
I don't quite follow this thread, but my Sony Blu/DVD
player came with a bad default setting of "original
aspect ratio" which, misleadingly, causes 4.3 to
stretch to widescreen, as when playing DVDs which
have both 4.3 and widescreen on it (such as 4.3
main program and widescreen menu or trailers or the
other way around). The correct setting with my TV is
"fixed aspect ratio". I put the blame entirely
on Sony for a bad default setting with misleading
names for settings and completely ignoring picture
stretching in it's troubleshooting guide, pretending
that picture stretching was not a severe defect that
would have caused me to return the TV or player if it
couldn't be fixed.
I just keep flicking them till I get it right. I don't really
understand what they mean exactly. But as I have said over and over in
this thread, if you set the Sony bluray player to output at 1080p, then
4:3 DVDs depends on their IFO settings, and you can't change something
mistakenly stretched to 16:9 without resetting the Video output to SD
(480/576).
I have made sure the bluray settings don't mistakenly stretch 4:3 to
16:9 though. I hate stretching the picture.