Ormsby Film Corporation
j***@yahoo.com
2010-02-12 17:25:59 UTC
Would anybody have any information on the Ormsby Film Corporation?
The company apparently produced but one film - 1920's Neptune's Bride
- and I'm running in circles looking for some background on the
"studio". All contributions will be acknowledged, gratefully. Mny
thanks.
thomasg
2010-02-13 05:26:38 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Would anybody have any information on the Ormsby Film Corporation?
The company apparently produced but one film - 1920's Neptune's Bride
- and I'm running in circles looking for some background on the
"studio".  All contributions will be acknowledged, gratefully.  Mny
thanks.
Hello,

I can send you a newspaper article from 1920 about Miss Roxy
Armstrong, who played the lead in the film. It comes from a Canadian
newspaper. Let me know if you would like it.

thomas gladysz
vesper@uw.edu
2016-02-06 00:27:18 UTC
Post by thomasg
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Would anybody have any information on the Ormsby Film Corporation?
The company apparently produced but one film - 1920's Neptune's Bride
- and I'm running in circles looking for some background on the
"studio".  All contributions will be acknowledged, gratefully.  Mny
thanks.
Hello,
I can send you a newspaper article from 1920 about Miss Roxy
Armstrong, who played the lead in the film. It comes from a Canadian
newspaper. Let me know if you would like it.
thomas gladysz
Thomas,
Thank you much. I would love to see the newspaper article referring to my mother, Roxie Armstrong, who was apparently that person.
Karl Vesper (***@uw.edu)

k***@gmail.com
2016-02-06 00:21:02 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Would anybody have any information on the Ormsby Film Corporation?
The company apparently produced but one film - 1920's Neptune's Bride
- and I'm running in circles looking for some background on the
"studio". All contributions will be acknowledged, gratefully. Mny
thanks.
My mother, Roxie Vesper (by marriage, original last name Armstrong) had a sister, Annie Ormsby whom I remember from when I was young lived in Laguna Beach, CA. What her husband's first name was, I don't recall, but I suppose he was the one with the film corporation. I also recall that at one point my wife managed online to find a site referring to a film by that corporation called "Neptune's Bride" in which my mother, Roxie Armstrong was billed as the leading actress with "the world's most beautiful body" or some such and with her picture on the poster. Regrettably, I didn't hit the "print" button, and now I have no idea how to find that site again.
Roxie lived an unusual life. She was born in Niagara Falls, Canada, to parents who had a bunch of other kids, among whom she was the youngest. Apparently her Dad, my grandfather, worked on the dam and was killed by some industrial accident. One of her brothers, Eldridge, who I think may have been the eldest, seems to have then helped her Mom pull the family through. I never asked or happened to hear about much of the subsequent history. But there were some prominent events.
Apparently they moved to Lethbridge Alberta, where my mom eventually became a school teacher. During the flapper days there was a popular song that went "I danced with a man, who danced with a woman who danced with the Prince of Wales." Roxie told me she had in fact danced with the Himself. I doubted that, but when working for the University of Calgary one year decided with my wife to drive down to Lethbridge and check it out in files of the local paper. The Prince was in fact reported to have visited on a flag-waving tour during WW I, and did attend some sort of ball where he had a dance card with partner names that included Roxie.
After her death I also came across a New Jersey newspaper clipping that depicted the Hindenburg blimp disaster. Along with a photo of the flaming craft it included a list of the passenger list scheduled for the next day. It included the name Roxie Vesper.
Etc.
But about Ormsby I don't know more. Where did he come from or go? What connected him with movies? How did Neptune's Bride come about, and who, if anybody, went to see it where, I have no idea, but would be fascinated to learn more. I also have more about Roxie, if that is of interest.
Karl H. Vesper (***@uw.edu)