Info sought on "The Passion Play" (copyright date 1924) a/k/a Galiläer, Der (1921)
Darren
2007-01-24 22:15:29 UTC
I am looking for information on a silent film called "The Passion Play."
Copyright date on title card is 1924.

I believe the original title was Galiläer, Der (1921) and assume it was
imported from Germany to the USA by Pliny P. Craft and roadshowed to
religious groups.

Directed by Dimitri Buchowetzki, Cinematography by Arpad Viragh and
featuring the Passion Players of Freiburg, Baden, Germany.

Adolph Fassnacht as Christus. George Fassnacht as Judas.

IMDB.com entry http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424106/

The reels that sparked my curosity are are 1 and 4. Variable denisty
optical track sound rerelease on DuPont nitrate stock.

First reel is a "Square Up" reel and has a spoken intoduction by, I am
presuming, Pliny P. Craft and squares up how and where the film was made and
the history of the Passion Players.

AFI database, Wikkipedia, Google and copyright.gov do not provide any more
info.

In 2001 a version of this was released in Germany on VHS. Video duration is
listed at 47 minutes, however, reel 4 seems to start before Jesus is put on
trial.

Can anyone comment on this film or survival status?

Darren Nemeth
Darren
2007-01-24 23:22:16 UTC
From a translated German site.

"The Galiläer" 1921, 45 min., feature

A passion film following upper bunting gau, turned in Freiburg (Brsg.) by a
Russian director. "The Galiläer", one the first large German Jesusfilme of
the silent movie era (1921), was discovered some years ago in federal
archives and reconstructed in minutiöser detailed work. A 70 years long
verschollenes jewel of the religious film can be put now to the education
work in restored version at the disposal. The film, which into four parts
(introduction in Jerusalem - communion - capture - process and Kreuzigung)
is divided, is excellent - reservedly - easily. Is suitable outstanding in a
Jesusfilmreihe as early certification of the Jesusfilm.
q***@yahoo.com
2007-01-26 06:05:22 UTC
The film played in New York in late 1924. Here's a brief notice
(October 18) and an ad (November 6) from the New York Times:

And here's another blurb, from the November 9, 1924 New York Times:

Success is attending the exhibition of an interesting film production
of "The Passion Play" at the Union Church, West Forty-eighth Street,
"ninety-nine steps from Broadway." It is the Freiburg presentation of
"The Passion Play," and was directed by Dimitri Buchowetzki, who has
woven in shadows a splendid production. Adolph and George Fassnacht
enact the roles of The Christus and Judas. The Rev. Dr. R. J. Harrison,
pastor of the church, has surrounded this film spectacle with music and
a talk by a nephew of Anton Lang, who he declared was paid for playing
The Christus in the Oberammergau "Passion Play," but whose salary for
one year amounted in the currency of this country to $7.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Of course, it played elsewhere, too. Here are 1925 ads from Kingston,
Jamaica's The Gleaner:

and The Florence (SC) Morning News (November 30, 1925):

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Some people had to wait years to see the film. From the June 6, 1927
Chillicothe (MO) Daily Constitution:

"Passion Play" Opens at Empire.

"Passion Play," the first and probably last motion picture presentation
depicting the life and death of Christ, our Lord, as enacted at
Freiburg, Baden since the year 1264, opened at the Empire this
afternoon for a big four day engagement. Although it has been widely
exhibited throughout Europe, "Passion Play" has been shown in films in
America only a short time. Christus and Judas, the outstanding roles of
the picture, are portrayed by Adolph and George Fassnacht, who have
inherited the part from generation to generation. Local ministers and
educators strongly urge that every person in Chillicothe and vicinity
see this photoplay.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Here's a piece from the March 30, 1927 Lima (OH) News:

Passion Play Filmed

More than six and one half centuries of devotion to the dramatic art
will flash across the silver screen at the Lyric Thursday when the
people of Lima will be given the privilege of witnessing one of the
most magnificent of all histrionic spectacles — the famed Passion
Play as enacted by the peasants of Freiburg, Baden.

For this dramatic masterpiece, antedating by many years the more
renowned Passion Play of the Oberammergau peasants, first was staged on
the steps of the ancient Freiburg, Cathedral in 1264, and performances
have been continuous since 1600.

Its transfer to motion pictures was made possible thru the directoral
genius of Dimitri Buchowetski, widely known film director, and the film
will be shown here at popular prices. According to reports, it is
remarkable not only because of the antiquity of its cast many of whom
have inherited their roles, but also because of the fine appreciation
of dramatic values that is evident thruout.

Outstanding figures in the cast are Judas Iscariot, the traitor
apostle, and the Christus, himself, handled respectively by George and
Adolph Fassnacht. Both of the Fassnachts have inherited their roles
thru three generations, and handle them with rare genius.

Rightly selecting the two most colossal events in the life of Christ
— the betrayal and the crucifixion — as the outstanding features of
the Passion Play. Director Buchowetski has woven around these the
entire story of the Son of Man. Magnificent mob scenes, gorgeous
glimpses of the court of Pilate, Gethsemane, the march to Cavalry —
all are depicted with the utmost realism by the Freiburg actors.

The Lyric's attraction for the final times today is "Young April," a
delightful comedy-drama of royalty, featuring Joseph Schildkraut,
Bessie Love and Rudolph Schildkraut.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††
THE PASSION PLAY

A figure, saintly of mien, dignified in bearing and clad in flowing
white robes, moved across a hillside. He was the Christus in the
Freiburg Passion Play. His approach hushed the audience at the
Playhouse theater on Michigan ave., here in Chicago into a silence that
ever will be felt. His presence was a symbol never before encountered
in a playhouse here. It foreshadowed the greatest tragedy in the
world's history. As the Man of Sorrows trod the Via Crucis the theater
for a time became a temple, illumined by the Light of the World.

Civilization was based on the events depicted in the Passion Play of
the Life of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and the fact that it is now
being shown to the public is in line with prophecies to be found in the
old Testament.

To give the audience an idea of the temples and grounds which serve as
a stage for the performance of the Passion Play at Freiburg, motion
pictures of the group of concrete constructed buildings, their
foregrounds and backgrounds, are shown. Those pictures, coupled with
others of the town itself and of many of the citizens as they come and
go, bound for work or pleasure, help one to understand the character of
the place and its people.

The play adheres closely to the Biblical narrative. As for the
enactment of the drama, it is what could be expected by a company
steeped in the traditions of the work and so trained in all the details
of the action that individual and concerted efforts result in a
flawless ensemble. For nearly a hundred years, members of the Fassnacht
family of Freiburg have taken part in the performance. They have been
so bred to it that their present representatives, Adolph, who embodies
the Christus, and George, who portrays Judas - so merge themselves into
their roles that the illusions they create are as startling as they are
impressive.

In its entirety the production, supervised by Dimitri Buchowetzki, is a
milestone along the way of progressive art in motion pictures, and is
produced by Joseph Francis Meyers — it will continue for a limited
engagement twice daily, 2:15 and 8:15 at popular prices which are
within the reach of everyone.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Eventually, the Fassnachts came to the United States. Read all about it
in the August 15, 1928 Chillicothe (MO) Constitution-Tribune:

Passion Play In American Premier At St. Joseph

Old Story Lies Back of Performance. Perfect Production Forecast For
Next Week's Showing.

The American premiere performance of the Passion Play of the Freiburg
Players of Freiburg in Baden, Germany, will be held in St. Joseph,
Missouri, Sunday night, August 19, to continue for seven nights
thereafter.

One night, when the wind was high and the snow was deep and cold
prevailed outside, a lone traveler knocked at the door of a cottage in
Freiburg, in Germany He asked for shelter for the night and for food
that would warm him and sustain his body.

Not only was he taken into the house but the good wife piled high the
faggots on the crude hearth and boiled the kettle and prepared for him
a meal, which was frugal for the family was poor. The stranger ate and
was made comfortable and after the evening repast and the smaller
children had been tucked away, the stranger began to talk to those who
had been so kind to him.

And while he talked a strange light came into the room. The host and
hostess heard these words:

'For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat; I was thirsty and ye gave
me drink; I was a stranger and ye took me in: Naked and ye clothed me,
I was sick, and ye visited me: Then shall the King say unto them on His
right hand, "Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom
prepared for you from the foundation of the world"'

And when the words ceased to fall upon the air in the now very still
domicile, the light fairly flooded the place and suddenly the stranger
was gone, but a great peace fell over the occupants of the cottage. The
Man of Sorrows had visited there that evening.

The story spread throughout the village and into the country. The men
of the church were sought for explanation and the people were assured
that peace would always dwell in the land visited by Christ if the
people would always live according to His teachings it was then that
the Passion Play had its beginning. This was four hundred years before
the Passion Play was presented in Oberammergau in Bavaria and two
hundred years before Columbus set foot upon American soil.

Every four years the Passion Play was "lived again" in Freiburg until
the time of Martin Luther and the period of the Reformation and the
religious wars. During this period the play was not presented, and
finally when plague struck the province taking its large toll, the
populace gathered together and made a vow to God that if the plague be
lifted, every ten years the Passion Play would be presented and all the
people would abide by the teachings of Christ, that religious
instruction would be given all children and that the vows would never
be broken. Since 1646 this vow has been kept.

The Freiburg Players actually lived the part they take in their
production of the Passion Play. For generation after generation the
various roles have been kept in families passing from father to son, or
from mother to daughter, down the ages.

In 1922 when the Passion Play was being presented in Freiburg, there
were 60,000 Americans who witnessed the inspirational spectacle.
Thousands of these travelers urged the Freiburg Players to "Bring your
play to America that the masses of the people might have opportunity to
witness a great performance."

At first it seemed an utter impossibility for the Freiburg Players are
not people of wealth and the production has never been presented to net
big profits to those who present it rather the surplus money is always
used for the church or for charitable purposes.

Finally, however, a way was opened and Mr. and Mrs. Adolf Fassnacht,
managers of the Freiburg Players, with George Fassnacht, brother of
Adolf, and in company with a few players, came to America.

"America is wonderful," they state, in very broken English, "but rich.
Oh my. We feel that even the poor must have culture and must like the
inspirational. We come to the middle west and we like it better. Much
better, so we play here."

This is the way George Fassnacht explained his appreciation of St.
Joseph, Missouri, and the welcome the players were given in this city,
where they will make their American premiere.

The performance is to be presented in Krug Park bowl, a natural
amphitheater, which has just been completed, in fact, will be dedicated
upon the opening night of the Passion Play. The huge bowl will seat
20,000 persons, but indications are that there will be throngs unable
to obtain seats. Sixty members of the Freiburg cast, men and women who
have been playing roles in the play for years, and whose fathers and
mothers before them took part in the play, will be in St. Joseph and
will fill their several roles.

All is in readiness for the event. Mr. and Mrs. Adolf Fassnacht and
George Fassnacht are here directing the local cast of 750 persons, and
the choruses, an adult chorus of 350 men and women, and a children's
chorus of 250.

The costumes and the stage settings are all here. The costumes are
exact replicas of the garments worn during the time of Christ, and are
elaborate, rich, luxurious in every detail, being made of linen and
silk and embroidery and lace. The armor for the soldiers is
particularly interesting. The settings for the several scenes, Pilate's
temple, the gate of Jerusalem, Mary's home in Bethany, the house in
which Christ partook of the last supper with His disciples, the Garden
of Gethsemane, Calvary, Herod's temple -- all of the scenes so well
known to those who know the story of Christ's week of sorrows, for that
literally is the story of the greatest of dramas, are now being
completed in the bowl. The hills to either side of the stage are
perfect for the necessary scenes in the pageant.

And then, too, a word must be said as to the acoustics in the bowl. A
snap of the fingers of a person standing on the stage is heard with
appalling distinctness at the outer rim of the bowl. The conversation
of persons on the stage is heard with wondrous ease.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Later, the Fassnachts made it to Broadway. There's a snarky comment
about H. B. Warner in this a syndicated review of the Broadway version
by Percy Hammond ("One of America's Best-Known Dramatic Critics") which
I have cobbled together from versions in the May 12, 1929 Oakland
Tribune and the May 5, 1929 Syracuse Herald:

BROADWAY'S tampering with the Passion Play is less impious than might
be expected, considering the remoteness of the Hippodrome from the
cathedral streets of Freiburg. Directed by such devout men of the
theater as Mr. [David] Belasco and Mr. [Morris] Gest, it becomes a
combination of circus and sacrament seldom offending the Times Square
sense of reverence.

Some of its gaudier scenes are indeed obvious things of tanbark and
tinsel, sheer manifestations of spectacular showmanship. When, for
instance, the actor who plays the Nazarene rides through the gates of
Jerusalem upon the back of a trained donkey, he is accompanied by all
the florid entourage of a Ringling processional. Trombones blare, the
crowd cheers, a parade is organized and passes across the stage,
representing the doubtful art of the supernumerary in its most
ostentatious manner.

But it is merely a joining of the naivete of Broadway, N. Y., with that
of Freiburg, Baden. The few timid hisses that greeted Herr Fassnacht's
pompous entrance were a bit clack-like in their insincerity, and did
not seem to represent any important indignation.

ONE approaches a review of the Hippodrome Passion Play with tremors.
Persons who are otherwise liberal in excusing reporters from error,
grow white hot with choler at a casual mention of holy things. I am
fearful that in my memoranda of the Gest-Belasco-Freiburg-Hippodrome
Passion Play I shall again affront some readers. If they will but bear
with my awkward efforts to be inoffensive, I shall hint that the
proceedings at the Hippodrome, though treating of celestial topics, are
not of a kind to dignify the Christian religion.

The Fassnachts are a family of players founded in 1760 or thereabouts.
Every three years in the public square of Freiburg they go through the
events in the life of the Saviour, casting themselves in the principal
roles. In some mysterious way they got to America not long ago and
while wandering prosperously through the interior were discovered by
Mr. Gest. The most alert and courageous of the big-show impresarios
fetched them to Broadway. Amplifying their village ceremonies with
metropolitan paraphernalia, he now shows them in the Hippodrome.

ALL that New York can do for a Passion Play is done by Mr. Gest. He has
worked Broadway wonders upon a hamlet festival. His expenditure in the
process is so extravagant that it might well worry an expert
accountant. In his belief that Adolph Fassnacht or any one else could
be a satisfactory approximation of the Son of God he is perhaps
mistaken.

I did not see Henry B. Warner as Hollywood's idea of the King of Kings.
Mr. Nathan, however, has said that it was that of a Lambs club ham
pretending to be holy with the assistance of false whiskers and a smug
personality. Adolph Fassnacht at the Hippodrome is neither smug nor a
ham; he is nothing but a pretty waxen puppet with a male soprano voice.

That, however, has little to do with Mr. Gest's prowess as a princely
extravaganzist. He displays at the Hippodrome many of the Scriptures'
incidents, including the ejection of Adam and Eve from the Garden of
Eden, Da Vinci's Last Supper, Gethsemane, the Court of Pontius Pilate,
the Crown of Thorns, the Face "vilely smeared," the tragic Hill, the
spear thrusts, the sponge of vinegar, the nails, the bitter cross and
the resurrection.

It is not an easy job even for Mr. Gest and the Fassnachts, and that
they get away with it entitles them to approval. Many playgoers will
revel in its sights and sounds. Others, among whom I reluctantly enlist
myself, will regard it as a hallowed bore.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††

In addition to Krug Park Bowl and the Hippodrome, the Fassnachts played
all sorts of venues, including high school auditoriums. Here's a
promotional pic from the November 3, 1930 Charleston (SC) Gazette:

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††
p***@gmail.com
2018-06-14 12:58:24 UTC
Hi Darren,

In case you are still interested in this silent movie, I can say some words. I have just come across the film, when doing some preservation work at a regional archive.
The print looks very good with toning in different colors.

Patricia de filippi
Darren Nemeth
j***@gmail.com
2020-01-05 08:06:44 UTC
Buy real driver's license www.validdocumentsonline.com buy passport, identity card, visa, residents permit, usa green card, ielts, toefl, gmat whatsapp +1(954)299-3523 /***@gmail.com
Buy counterfeit money online https://validdocumentsonline.com counterfeit pounds, dollars, euros, passports, driver's license, ssn, ielts, resident permits
At validdocuments we produce original passport, driver's license, identity cards, visas, green cards, resident stamps permit and other documents for the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Finland, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Great Britain, USA, Canada and many more. At validdocuments we offer you one of the best services in the world. Most customers have experienced our true and excellent service. We guarantee 100% legit. We assure our customers that they produce and deliver their documents in a short time.
Note that the current document is registered in the country database system, so you can easily travel to a country of your choice. Our documents have all security features, such as:
Buy high quality undetectable counterfeit money https://validdocumentsonline.com counterfeit pounds, dollars, euros, passports, driver's license, ssn, ielts, resident permits

Apply for real passport [whatsApp +1(954)299-3523] driver's license, ID Cards https://validdocumentsonline.com SSN, Birth Certificates, Visas, Diplomas, Divorce Certificate, Gun License, Adoption Certificates, Marriage Certificate, Residence Permit, Diplomas
BUY COUNTERFEIT GREAT BRITISH POUNDS ONLINE, BUY COUNTERFEIT BANK NOTES/ https://validdocumentsonline.com/100-undetectable-counterfeit-money BUY COUNTERFEIT EURO BANK NOTES, BUY COUNTERFEIT DOLLAR BANK NOTES, BUY COUNTERFEIT POUNDS BANK NOTES, BUY COUNTERFEIT BANK NOTES FOR ALL COUNTRIES
real registered passports www.validdocumentsonline.com driver's license (whatsapp +1(954)299-3523) buy visa, identity card (***@gmail.com) www.validdocumentsonline.com
And we offer FAST and express delivery to our customers
We only offer original passport, driver's license, identity cards, visas, stamps and other documents for the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Finland, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Great Britain, USA and some others.
We offer you one of the best services in the world. Most customers have experienced our true service.

Buy passport online
Buy online passport
buy identity card online
Buy online driving license
Buy the residence permit online
Buy/Get Citizenship Online
Buy Online Documents

Our website .. https://validdocumentsonline.com

https://validdocumentsonline.com

https://validdocumentsonline.com

https://validdocumentsonline.com

Contact emails ......... ***@gmail.com

WHATSAPP .........+1(954)299-3523

Skype ........ ricardoclemenson

Fake passport online
buy fake ID card
Buy a driving license
buy fake documents online

https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-real-and-fake-passports-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-resident-permits/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-usa-visa/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/100-undetectable-counterfeit-money/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/100-undetectable-counterfeit-money/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/

buy real and fake passport
buy real and fake driver's license
Buy a real and false identity card
buy real and false citizenship
buy real and false citizenship
Buy real and fake papers

https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-drivers-license/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
Buy real registered EU passports
Buy passport online
Purchase an identity card online
Buy driving license online
Buy the residence permit online
Buy / receive citizenship online
Buy real and fake documents online
Buy UK passports
Real passports USA (USA),
Buy Real Belgian passports,
Real Brazilian (Brazil) passports,
Real Canadian (Canadian) passports,
Buy Real Finnish passports,
Buy Real French Passports,
Buy Genuine German passports,
Buy Genuine Dutch passports,
Royal israeli passports,
Get real passports from the United Kingdom (United Kingdom),
Buy Real Spanish (Spain) passports,
Buy Real Mexican (Mexico) passports,
Buy a real South African passport.
Buy real Australian driving licenses,
Buy real Canadian driving licenses,
Buy real French (France) driving licenses.
Legit Dutch (Holland / Netherlands) driving licenses,
Real Estate German (Germany) driving licenses,
Sale Real UK (United Kingdom) driving licenses,
Purchase of genuine diplomatic passports
Sell ??real USA (USA) passports,
Buy Real Australian Passports,
Buy Belgium passports,
Buy real Brazilian (Brazil) passports,