Homes of silent stars still standing?
Eugene Ruskin, Jr.
2004-10-20 06:49:15 UTC
Hi everyone,

Do forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times, but does anyone
know if any of the famous homes of silent stars are still around?
I've seen pictures in various places but precious little info on
anything but Pickfair's destruction. I would love to see Mary Miles
Minter's home Casa Margarita (I think that's what it was called) and
of course Falcon's Lair, etc. but any info on any stars' homes would
be appreciated.

I'm going to California next summer to visit the graves of silent
stars and to look at the few remnants of the silent era, so any info
on homes would be great.

Regards,
Gene
Rob Farr
2004-10-20 10:46:02 UTC
Here in Arlington VA, a woodsy summer cottage that Pola Negri rented in the
1930s is still standing and in use as the Gulf Branch Nature Center.

Rob Farr
www.slapsticon.org
Gene
WWW
2004-10-20 14:30:49 UTC
On a resent book/photo research trip the fate of Ford Sterling's three
homes came to light. With Sally Dumaux at the wheel (and with her trusty
navigation skills), we sadly discovered none of them exist anymore. His
first home in Venice and the one he lived in from 1914 - 1934 are now
freeways and his last home is a vacant lot. I have photos of the vacant
lot! However, I believe the two houses in Chicago that he grew up in are
still standing but I haven't investigated those yet.

WWW.
Frederica
2004-10-20 15:15:30 UTC
The West Adams house that Roscoe Arbuckle (and before him, Theda Bara) lived
in still stands. Antonio Moreno's house in Silverlake is still there.
Keaton's Italian Villa is in Beverly Hills--isn't Greenacres still around?
Real Estate of the Stars! The ultimate collectible!

Frederica
WWW.
Brent McKee
2004-10-20 19:23:41 UTC
Post by Frederica
The West Adams house that Roscoe Arbuckle (and before him, Theda Bara) lived
in still stands. Antonio Moreno's house in Silverlake is still there.
Keaton's Italian Villa is in Beverly Hills--isn't Greenacres still around?
Real Estate of the Stars! The ultimate collectible!
California State Historical Landmark #961. Just try to find a current photo
of it though. (I was under the impression from reading a biography of Lloyd
that it had been destroyed .)
--
Brent McKee

To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from
the email address

"If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly,
in one which is infinitely worse."
- Margaret Atwood

"Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more
constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of
openness to novelty. "
- Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)
unknown
2004-10-20 19:40:43 UTC
Post by Brent McKee
Post by Frederica
The West Adams house that Roscoe Arbuckle (and before him, Theda Bara) lived
in still stands. Antonio Moreno's house in Silverlake is still there.
Keaton's Italian Villa is in Beverly Hills--isn't Greenacres still around?
Real Estate of the Stars! The ultimate collectible!
California State Historical Landmark #961. Just try to find a current photo
of it though. (I was under the impression from reading a biography of Lloyd
that it had been destroyed .)
Greenacres wasn't destroyed, but the property was subdivided.

Here's what Annette Lloyd wrote in her excellent book, THE HAROLD
LLOYD ENCYCLOPEDIA:

"On July 27, 1975 Greenacres was auctioned to the highest bidder,
Iranian Nastrolla Afshani, a retired importer of industrial supplies.
He bid $1.6 million for the estate that Lloyd spent $2 million to
build. The property was then subdivided into 10 one acre lots (lining
what was the Lloyd driveway, and what is now Greenacres Place, off of
Benedict Canyon Drive), at the crest of which is a six acre plot
preserved, including the Lloyd mansion, Gloria's playhouse, the great
lawn, the tennis courts, the lovely Rose Garden, and the exquisite and
welcoming entry courtyard. Afshani lived in the home for a time, as
have entrepreneurs Ted Fields and Ron Burkle."

I was fortunate enough to take a tour of Greenacres in 1974, before
the property was sold and subdivided.

--John A.
Max Nineteennineteen
2004-10-26 20:39:04 UTC
Post by unknown
Here's what Annette Lloyd wrote in her excellent book, THE HAROLD
"On July 27, 1975 Greenacres was auctioned to the highest bidder,
Iranian Nastrolla Afshani, a retired importer of industrial supplies.
He bid $1.6 million for the estate that Lloyd spent $2 million to
build. The property was then subdivided into 10 one acre lots (lining
what was the Lloyd driveway, and what is now Greenacres Place, off of
Benedict Canyon Drive), at the crest of which is a six acre plot
preserved, including the Lloyd mansion, Gloria's playhouse, the great
lawn, the tennis courts, the lovely Rose Garden, and the exquisite and
welcoming entry courtyard. Afshani lived in the home for a time, as
have entrepreneurs Ted Fields and Ron Burkle."
I was fortunate enough to take a tour of Greenacres in 1974, before
the property was sold and subdivided.
Ted Fields, huh? How nice to think that both comedy classics of the
20s, and those of the 80s like REVENGE OF THE NERDS, were devised
there.
Dan Condon
Gene
Brent Walker
2004-10-21 16:18:39 UTC
Speaking of Strongheart, I've heard that his old dog house still
stands, but it has been modified into a duplex currently occupied by
two dauchshunds.

Brent Walker
Gene
R H Draney
2004-10-20 15:31:38 UTC
Post by Eugene Ruskin, Jr.
Do forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times, but does anyone
know if any of the famous homes of silent stars are still around?
I've seen pictures in various places but precious little info on
anything but Pickfair's destruction. I would love to see Mary Miles
Minter's home Casa Margarita (I think that's what it was called) and
of course Falcon's Lair, etc. but any info on any stars' homes would
be appreciated.
I'm going to California next summer to visit the graves of silent
stars and to look at the few remnants of the silent era, so any info
on homes would be great.
William S Hart's ranch in Newhall is now a county park...there are tours of the
mansion itself as well as the bunkhouse....r
Eugene Ruskin, Jr.
2004-10-29 05:29:36 UTC
Post by R H Draney
William S Hart's ranch in Newhall is now a county park...there are tours of the
mansion itself as well as the bunkhouse....r
Funny you should mention that. My grandparents lived in an apartment
right down the road from William S. Hart park, so I saw a lot of the
house as a kid. It's a great place to visit, right off the Western
Walk of Fame.

Regards,
Gene
Bruce Calvert
2004-10-20 18:17:51 UTC
Here is the realator's listing for a house that silent-film comedian
Raymond Griffith used to live in. It is in Los Feliz, and someone
bought it "cheap" at $2.4 million USD. I'm not sure if he lived here
in the 1920s or after retirement.

http://www.richardstanleyrealtor.com/html_standard/sales_history.html
The Raymond Griffith Estate
Architecture attributed to Lloyd Wright, 1922
5230 Linwood Drive
Laughlin Park
Los Feliz

I have an Architectural Digest article about another home of his in
Canoga Park. He lived there in the 1930s when he was a producer for
20th Century-Fox. Both houses were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Bruce Calvert
greta de groat
2004-10-20 20:49:13 UTC
Here's another Los Feliz house, this time Norma Talmadge was the occupant
(she lived in a lot of places, and i'm not sure when this was):

http://www.jdls.com/residential/italvilla01.html
Unfortunately, they don't give an actual address

Frederica, is the house you mention the one on 649 West Adams Blvd., Los
Angeles, CA? Norma Talmadge lived there, too, as did Raoul Walsh and
Miriam Cooper.

She had a home at 704 N. Arden Dr. in Beverly Hills in 1950, at the same
time she was living in Las Vegas at 2047 W. Charleston Blvd. She also
had a house in Fort Lauderdale and owned bunches of other stuff, but
don't know which she lived in. She also had a beach house in Santa
Monica which was in Architectural Digest a few years (unfortunately i
have neither the address nor article, so don't know any further details.
I have no idea if the other houses are still standing.

Pauline Frederick had a big house at 503 Sunset Boulevard in Beverly
Hills and a Malibu beach house, but i can't find the Sunset Blvd. address
on mapquest, so don't know if they've renumbered the streets or what. I
have a picture here:

Clara Kimball Young lived at 7462 Waring Ave., Los Angeles in 1949, but
by 1960 her address was given as 807 North Curzon Ave., apparently just a
couple of blocks away. I found a Sanborn Fire Insurance map detail
online of her studio
(http://maplibrary.csun.edu/Sanborn/SanDes.html#anchor77797) which seems
to be on the 1300 block of Allesandro in the Silver Lake area of LA.
That probably isn't there anymore (Evil Bob, you probably know this)

Alice Joyce was living at 17906 Parthenia St. in Northridge in 1952.
Come to think of it, I wonder what ever happend to her other daughter?
(Alice Jr. died in 1960, but i've never found whether Peggy (Regan)
Harris is still around-she was living in Clark Fork,
Idaho at the time of her mother's death).

greta
Bruce Calvert
Frederica
2004-10-20 21:30:53 UTC
Post by greta de groat
Frederica, is the house you mention the one on 649 West Adams Blvd., Los
Angeles, CA? Norma Talmadge lived there, too, as did Raoul Walsh and
Miriam Cooper.
Uhhhhh...I think. It's now owned by the Jesuits.

Frederica
greta de groat
2004-10-20 20:55:03 UTC

http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat/PF/house.jpg

Bruce Calvert
greta de groat

Bruce Calvert
greta de groat

Bruce Calvert
Eric Stott
2004-10-20 22:00:37 UTC
Post by Bruce Calvert
Here is the realator's listing for a house that silent-film comedian
Raymond Griffith used to live in. It is in Los Feliz, and someone
bought it "cheap" at $2.4 million USD. I'm not sure if he lived here
in the 1920s or after retirement.
http://www.richardstanleyrealtor.com/html_standard/sales_history.html
The Raymond Griffith Estate
Architecture attributed to Lloyd Wright, 1922
5230 Linwood Drive
Laughlin Park
Los Feliz
I have an Architectural Digest article about another home of his in
Canoga Park. He lived there in the 1930s when he was a producer for
20th Century-Fox. Both houses were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.
Bruce Calvert
Do you mean Frank Lloyd Wright, or his similarly named son Lloyd Wright,
who did work in a sort of "Mayan" mode.

Stott
Robert Miller
2004-10-20 23:01:56 UTC
The former home of Emily Ward, an aunt of the Gish sisters, was a favorite
location where the girls spent many summer vacations. It's still standing
in a residential neighborhood of Massillon Ohio, just a couple of blocks
from the Lincoln Theater, where earlier this month the Lillian & Dorothy
Gish Film Festival (now merged with the Saginaw Cinesation) was held.
Andy Goldwasser
2004-10-20 23:39:51 UTC
On a somewhat related note, William Bennett, founder of the Bijou movie
theater chain, and his wife are buried beside a giant granite obelisk a
couple hundred feet from the living room where I am composing this, in a
Neptune, NJ, cemetery (that is, the obelisk is in the cemetery, not
me)...
Lady Wakasa

me)...
Bruce Calvert
2004-10-25 02:26:48 UTC
Post by Eric Stott
Post by Bruce Calvert
[...]
The article just says "Lloyd Wright". I just assumed that it meant
Frank Lloyd Wright.
FLEXARET2
2004-10-26 04:06:29 UTC
from: ***@aol.com (Sam Sherman) 10-25-04

Does Valentino's home in LA still stand?
Falcon's Lair or something or other?

It was deteriorated many years ago when I jumped their fence to look around and
check it out for a possible film location. Two hounds from hell came out of
nowhere and chased me until I climbed the fence
to get the h--- out of there.

- Sam Sherman
Frederica
2004-10-26 16:00:13 UTC
Post by FLEXARET2
Does Valentino's home in LA still stand?
Falcon's Lair or something or other?
It was deteriorated many years ago when I jumped their fence to look around and
check it out for a possible film location. Two hounds from hell came out of
nowhere and chased me until I climbed the fence
to get the h--- out of there.
- Sam Sherman
It does, it's now a private residence.

Frederica
Frederica
2004-10-26 16:01:10 UTC
Post by Bruce Calvert
Post by Eric Stott
Do you mean Frank Lloyd Wright, or his similarly named son Lloyd Wright,
who did work in a sort of "Mayan" mode.
Stott
The article just says "Lloyd Wright". I just assumed that it meant
Frank Lloyd Wright.
I think that house is Lloyd Wright, rather than his father.

Frederica
Lady Wakasa
2004-10-30 16:51:20 UTC
The Samuel-Novarro house, where Ramon Novarro lived for a bit, still
stands. It was designed by Lloyd Wright, Son of Frank. I think it may
be a recognized historical site (national? state? not sure) as well.
There's a discussion of it in the Ramon Novarro book that came out a
couple years back.

http://sundown.greyledge.net/pages/2001/02/samuelnovarro_house.html
Frank Lloyd Wright.
c***@yahoo.com
No, both houses were designed by LLOYD Wright, Frank's son.
Michael Nella
2004-10-21 04:53:23 UTC
Rudolph Valentino owned a house in Bayside, NY that currently
overlooks the Throgs Neck Bridge. Now its a restaurant called Cafe on
the Green. I believe I read somewhere Lillian Gish owned a small home
in the area, but have no idea where.
Gene
TRT96
2004-10-22 02:16:07 UTC
Post by Michael Nella
Rudolph Valentino owned a house in Bayside, NY that currently
overlooks the Throgs Neck Bridge. Now its a restaurant called Cafe on
the Green.
Just a point of clarification: Valentino never at any time owned a home in New
York. I have read of the claims of this particular place and they are
absolutely untrue.

Tracy Terhune
Michael F. Blake
2004-10-31 05:41:22 UTC
Lon Chaney's home designed by Paul Williams is still standing at 806
Whittier Drive in Beverly Hills.

Michael F. Blake
Dwight Frippery
2004-10-31 06:41:30 UTC
Post by Michael F. Blake
Lon Chaney's home designed by Paul
Williams is still standing at 806 Whittier
Drive in Beverly Hills.
This is where a cache of Orlando Kellum sound discs were found which
finally ended up in Stanley Kubrick's vault along with the print of
LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT that they accompanied.

Many rote historians believe that Lon's
(actually pronounced "Loan" in Colo.)
first talker was THE UNHOLY THREE,
but in fact he did vocal effects for the
Kellum track---which consisted primarily of howls and bellows.

Since I am aware that you, Michael
Blake, are a renowned Chaney historian
(although I think that Forry Ackerman
probably deserves some credit, too),
have you taken the time and effort
to visit the Chaney house to scrounge
and paw around for additional Chaney
artifacts?
Michael F. Blake
2004-10-31 18:29:13 UTC
Actually, Chaney never lived in the house on Whittier, as it was still
in its final stages of finishing when he died. The house was sold a
few months later, as Hazel Chaney never moved into the house.

Lon's beautiful Tudor home on Linden Drive was torn down in 1985 after
being sold for $900,000 to make way for a bigger house on that smaller
lot.

The 4-plex he was living at on Sunset Blvd. (7152 Sunset) at the time
he made HUNCHBACK, was torn down about 2 years ago. The homes he
owned in the East Hollywood area (on Edgemont Street) are also gone.
One piece of property is part of a parking garage for Kaiser hospital.

Of course the house in Colorado Springs where he lived in 1894 is
still (happily) standing.

Michael F. Blake
Dwight Frippery
2004-10-31 18:49:43 UTC
Post by Michael F. Blake
Actually, Chaney never lived in the
house on Whittier, as it was still in its
final stages of finishing when he died.
The house was sold a few months later,
as Hazel Chaney never moved into the
house.
Lon's beautiful Tudor home on Linden
Drive was torn down in 1985 after being
sold for $900,000 to make way for a
bigger house on that smaller lot.
Oh, I thought you were referring to
the Tudor home. Obviously, the Kellum
discs could not have been at the house
on Whittier.

Those discs played an important role
in the career of Creighton--later
Lon--Chaney. Because Chaney had
copies, he was able to play them for
young Creighton, who was entranced
by the howling and bellowing on the
recordings.

He went about the house imitating
the horrific sounds made by his Dad
and he used those moments when
he played the role of Larry Talbot
in THE WOLF MAN.

He confided this to Curt Siodmak
who told it to me at a Cinecon event
a few years ago.
Stephen Cooke
2004-10-31 23:21:49 UTC
Post by Michael F. Blake
Lon Chaney's home designed by Paul Williams is still standing at 806
Whittier Drive in Beverly Hills.
And another Paul Williams would go on to star in Phantom of the
Paradise...Coincidence?

swac
Probably.
Frederica
2004-11-01 15:58:06 UTC
Post by Stephen Cooke
And another Paul Williams would go on to star in Phantom of the
Paradise...Coincidence?
swac
Probably.
Not to Frip, it isn't.

Frederica
Dr. Giraud
2004-11-01 03:03:35 UTC
<< Subject: Re: Homes of silent stars still standing?
From: Stephen Cooke ***@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, Oct 31, 2004 6:21 PM
Post by Michael F. Blake
Lon Chaney's home designed by Paul Williams is still standing at 806
Whittier Drive in Beverly Hills.
And another Paul Williams would go on to star in Phantom of the
Paradise...Coincidence?

swac
Probably. >>

And yet, . . . Paul Williams costared in the redneck road comedy Smokey & the
Bandit, while Lon Chaney Jr. was in Hillbillys in a Haunted House. . . .

The mind boggles. (Or not.)

Shawn Stone

"Quick General, get on the phone and have Schenectady send the biggest
generator they've got." --Hugh Marlow, EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS
Bill Vermillion
2004-11-05 20:25:01 UTC
Date: Sun, Oct 31, 2004 6:21 PM
Post by Michael F. Blake
Lon Chaney's home designed by Paul Williams is still standing at 806
Whittier Drive in Beverly Hills.
And another Paul Williams would go on to star in Phantom of the
Paradise...Coincidence?
Can't you just hear John Newland [in One Step Beyond] saying
Coincidence? Perhaps. Or is there something more that be don't know
about? Join us next week when we take you One Step Beyond.

It's fresh in my mind as I just watched the 2-parter on Peter
Hurkos last night.

Bill
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
ChaneyFan
2004-11-01 07:08:02 UTC
Post by Michael F. Blake
Lon's beautiful Tudor home on Linden Drive was torn down in 1985 after
being sold for $900,000 to make way for a bigger house on that smaller
lot.

I remember driving by when it was up for sale. I nearly drove the car off the
road. I was thinking, "the ultimate Chaney memorabilia." I went back several
months later to take a picture and it was then just a pile of rubble.
===============================
Jon Mirsalis
e-mail: ***@aol.com
Lon Chaney Home Page: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan
Jon's Film Sites: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan/jonfilm.htm
m***@appstate.edu
Vilma Banky's Home at 2282-El-Contento-Dr-Los-Angeles-CA-90068, is still there. Rock Star Stevie Nicks also lived there for many years. I believe Joan Crawford has a few homes still standing as well. Not sure how old this post is but they are still around. The ruins of old silent film star Anita Stewart are still around but were scheduled to tore down. It may have already been demolished by now...not sure.
v***@gmail.com
2018-09-09 04:46:15 UTC
Post by Eugene Ruskin, Jr.
Hi everyone,
Do forgive me if this has been asked a thousand times, but does anyone
know if any of the famous homes of silent stars are still around?
I've seen pictures in various places but precious little info on
anything but Pickfair's destruction. I would love to see Mary Miles
Minter's home Casa Margarita (I think that's what it was called) and
of course Falcon's Lair, etc. but any info on any stars' homes would
be appreciated.
I'm going to California next summer to visit the graves of silent
stars and to look at the few remnants of the silent era, so any info
on homes would be great.
Regards,
Gene
I was younger I lived in the gish sisters house In bayside queens new York. My parents rented the 3rd floor apartment. it was the maids apartment,I loved that house. Still can remember room by room. was trying to see if pic was on line. I 65 now