Too Bad About this Group
gtr
2012-07-08 17:50:24 UTC
That's all: Just too bad.
hislop
2012-07-09 02:24:56 UTC
Post by gtr
That's all: Just too bad.
A silent movie winning best picture is just too much.
It's not the best silent movie, but the only one made.
Mel Brooks films was far too talky. I saw an Edison company 1918 film
that was too talky too.

I'd like to see a silent movie with a cast including:

Samantha Morton
Tina Fey
the guy playing the cop in The Artist that the dog runs to, he was in
Mad Men. He was the best one in it.

And another thing. Renny Harlin, the wanker, was explaining in a
commentary how old films were slower and people expect faster pace now,
yet silent films only went very slow near the end, the ones before 1920
were usually cut very fast, especially the 1918 film I mention above.
Daryl
2012-07-09 07:29:34 UTC
Post by hislop
Post by gtr
That's all: Just too bad.
A silent movie winning best picture is just too much.
It's not the best silent movie, but the only one made.
Mel Brooks films was far too talky. I saw an Edison company 1918
film that was too talky too.
Samantha Morton
Tina Fey
the guy playing the cop in The Artist that the dog runs to, he
was in Mad Men. He was the best one in it.
And another thing. Renny Harlin, the wanker, was explaining in a
commentary how old films were slower and people expect faster
pace now,
yet silent films only went very slow near the end, the ones
before 1920 were usually cut very fast, especially the 1918 film
I mention above.
(my response, silent of course)
--
http://tvmoviesforfree.com
for free movies and Nostalgic TV. Tons of Military shows and
programs.
SSS DDD
2012-07-10 18:08:59 UTC
try Nitrateville, that's where "they' went
gtr
2012-07-11 02:16:20 UTC
Cool. Thanks.
Rockinghorse Winner
2012-07-11 02:28:58 UTC
* It may have been the liquor talking, but
Post by SSS DDD
try Nitrateville, that's where "they' went
I also miss the chaplin ng. :(

Terry
--
"Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls |/
drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own |/ Gentoo Linux
the awful grace of God." -Aeschylus |/
Derek Gee
2012-07-13 01:06:26 UTC
Post by SSS DDD
try Nitrateville, that's where "they' went
I also miss the chaplin ng. :(
Terry
It's still there if you want to post something...

Old Movie Fan
2012-07-13 03:09:04 UTC
I've switched to nitrateville but still check to see if there are any
lost posters here. I last exchanged with someone who saw "Napoleon" in
California.

If anyone wants to discuss the recent showing of "The Circle" on TCM,
I've become quite the expert at understanding the subtle but hilarious
conclusion.

Nitrateville.com is easy to join and extremely user friendly, even
allowing for editing errors after posting. With all the errors I've
made in the past, this is a nice feature.
Rockinghorse Winner
2012-07-14 00:11:26 UTC
Post by Old Movie Fan
I've switched to nitrateville but still check to see if there are any
lost posters here. I last exchanged with someone who saw "Napoleon" in
California.
If anyone wants to discuss the recent showing of "The Circle" on TCM,
I've become quite the expert at understanding the subtle but hilarious
conclusion.
Nitrateville.com is easy to join and extremely user friendly, even
allowing for editing errors after posting. With all the errors I've
made in the past, this is a nice feature.
I hadn't known about Nitrateville, so I'm glad I checked in here! :)

Terry
Derek Gee
2012-07-15 02:05:46 UTC
Post by Old Movie Fan
Nitrateville.com is easy to join and extremely user friendly, even
allowing for editing errors after posting. With all the errors I've
made in the past, this is a nice feature.
The problem with Nitrateville is CENSORSHIP. Lots of posts get edited
and/or deleted entirely. That cannot happen here at alt.movies.silent.

hislop
Isn't that censorship only about trying to sell movies?
Derek Gee
2012-07-17 03:12:20 UTC
Post by hislop
Post by Derek Gee
Post by Old Movie Fan
Nitrateville.com is easy to join and extremely user friendly, even
allowing for editing errors after posting. With all the errors I've
made in the past, this is a nice feature.
The problem with Nitrateville is CENSORSHIP. Lots of posts get edited
and/or deleted entirely. That cannot happen here at alt.movies.silent.
Isn't that censorship only about trying to sell movies?
No, lots of discussions get shut down because the moderator disagrees with
them, or thinks they've "run their course".

Old Movie Fan
2012-07-17 03:54:28 UTC
While censorship does exist, I don't think it happens because one of the
moderators doesn't agree with a post. When it has happened, it is only
after members begin to flame eachother with insults in much the same way
as you often see at the Google 'old film' group.

Not too long ago it was announced at Nitrateville that someone was
actually constructing a 3-D version of Lon Chaney's "Phantom of the
Opera." I real 3-D process made from two slightly different
perspectives.

While a 3-D version has already been simulated (electronically), and
sold on DVD, this guy has worked with two separate films shot side by
side with two cameras (a common practice). This 3-D constructed film
has been schedule for it's first public showing this October in Florida.

As you can imagine, this created much controversy including postings
from David Shepard and when the ranting began, the moderator shut it
down and removed the post completely.

Is this reconstruction into 3-D true or is it a hoax? Perhaps it is a
hozx. I plan to see for myself in October. I hope it won't require
those old fashioned red/green 3-D glasses.

Posting valid comments at Nitrateville always brings thoughtful

Posting here (where only 'Spam' rules) usually means that no one cares
what you have to say. I must be having a slow night to even comment
here.

Like the once active Hitchcock group or the Abraham Lincoln group,
a.m.s. is empty continually.

Except for the unwanted porn spam of course.
Derek Gee
2012-07-19 00:31:28 UTC
Post by Old Movie Fan
Post by Old Movie Fan
As you can imagine, this created much controversy including postings
from David Shepard and when the ranting began, the moderator shut it
down and removed the post completely.
Why not just remove the "rants" and then lock the thread? Why'd he delete
ALL posts and lock the thread?
Post by Old Movie Fan
Is this reconstruction into 3-D true or is it a hoax? Perhaps it is a
hozx. I plan to see for myself in October. I hope it won't require
those old fashioned red/green 3-D glasses.
I wish I knew if the producers really did master from two prints, two
videos, or do a 3D conversion of one print/video in post. If it's anaglyph,
it would be likely be red/blue, or blue/yellow. Nobody's using red/green
anymore. I'd prefer a side by side 3D blu-ray as well.

Old Movie Fan
2012-07-19 03:15:00 UTC
Post by Derek Gee
Why not just remove the "rants" and then lock
the thread? Why'd he delete ALL posts and
lock the thread?
The short answer is that I'm not running the group, but probably would
do the same as them if I was. I don't see it as censorship, but as a
valid attempt to maintain a group where everyone is welcome, provided
they behave. As a friend told me after signing up, it's basically the
same members of the a.m.s. group with the same predictable comments from
many.
Post by Derek Gee
I wish I knew if the producers really did master
from two prints, two videos, or do a 3D
conversion of one print/video in post.
Still 3-D photography has been a hobby of mine for more than twenty
years. When I visited the website, they offered a stereo-view of two
images that I was able to see through my stereoscope when looking at my
computer screen. The detail was quite impressive for what might have
been frames taken from motion pictures instead of (still) press photos.

I know 3-D relies on two similar perspectives similar to how our eyes
work. When the camera's are not at exactly the correct distance apart,
it isn't too hard to adjust for this. Since only one image is dominate
while the other provides only depth perception, even if the films are
not perfectly synced or one image less perfect, it's still possible to
create a clear and realistic stereo view. In the post, they had talked
about needing to switch the dominate image occasionally to the opposite
film because of quality, which seems to indicate this was a genuine
effort to work with two films.

I mentioned red/green simply to refer to the older method from years
ago...I don't bother with these so I don't really know the proper colors
or terms. Everything I do today uses a stereoscope.

I plan to see the 3-D film "Phantom of the Opera" this October and
meet with the man behind it.

Rich
PS: I learned much from you Derek when we discussed the "Metropolis"
reconstruction. You had many facts that I wasn't aware of. I still
regret that they did not restore the images as had been done with the
previous restoration. That certainly was electronically enhanced and
not only restored film. With more time and money, it could have been a
pristine reconstruction, the closest we'd ever have to a full
restoration.
Yes the discovered print was a different frame size, but they
certainly had enough information to clean it up, adjust the size and
make it the same high quality as the rest of the film. I found much of
it annoying in the present form.
m***@gmail.com
2012-07-19 04:23:11 UTC
Hello, old friends.

We try to moderate NitrateVille as little as possible. I would say weeks go by with none of it at all (other than removing blatant spammers, but most of that's prevented before it reaches the board). That said, the fact that the possibility exists has successfully curbed the worst tendencies that wrecked AMS even before Usenet, in general, was lost to spammers. In other words, no 200-post threads about Chaplin being a commie.

The Phantom of the Opera thread was a special case, in that the guy claiming to be creating the 3-D POTO is, in my humble opinion, unhinged and quickly went to making all kinds of accusations and stuff while regarding any attempt to ask him serious questions about his sources as, I kid you not, antigay cyberbullying. (He also started a blog devoted to how awful I am, which fortunately he quickly lost interest in.) In that case it was decided that we didn't need to leave utter nuttiness up to attract more of the same, but in my opinion, the 3-D POTO does not exist and will never exist from this person, and nothing of value was lost when his content was deleted.

I would urge you to give it a shot, but if not, there are certainly many other choices available such as blogs, where you will find a number of old AMSers...

In any case
hislop
2012-07-19 16:24:56 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Hello, old friends.
We try to moderate NitrateVille as little as possible. I would say weeks go by with none of it at all (other than removing blatant spammers, but most of that's prevented before it reaches the board). That said, the fact that the possibility exists has successfully curbed the worst tendencies that wrecked AMS even before
Usenet, in general, was lost to spammers.

Now that's not true. With less posts, only spammers are noticeable to
some people.

In any case
Igenlode Wordsmith
2012-07-19 17:01:52 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Hello, old friends.
We try to moderate NitrateVille as little as possible.
The trouble with Usenet discussion splitting off into dozens of separate
'web boards' (many of them JavaScript-dependent, heavily formatted
and/or slow to load, sometimes accessible only via emulation for those
of us on minority OS systems) is not moderation - it is that it relies
on the contributors to the discussion going off and doing the rounds of
dozens of separate web sites on a daily basis. Accessing (and especially
contributing) content through the interface of a web browser is less
than ideal.

My Usenet feed delivers all the posts on all my separate and varied
interests to one central location where I can interact with them via a
text editor. Since I was only ever really a passive consumer of
alt.movies.silent I wasn't going to go chasing after disappearing
content; if the posts stop coming... well, from my point of view the
entertainment has simply ceased. My contribution is not sufficiently
urgent that I'm going to jump through hoops to promote it elsewhere.
--
Igenlode Visit the Ivory Tower http://ivory.vlexofree.com/Tower/

* Usenet: Warning, may contain Nuts *
Rockinghorse Winner
2012-07-22 02:00:35 UTC
Post by Igenlode Wordsmith
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
What he said...

Terry
m***@gmail.com
2012-07-22 21:10:40 UTC
FWIW, we do still have the thread, but looking at it again, I honestly don't know how you find the few nuggets of worthy information there and bring them back and have it make any sense. Most of the thread consists of blatantly wrong information about the supposed 3-D version, refutations of that by NitrateVillains, and the claims of cyberbullying that followed. Really, there's not much there there, but I'd be happy to send the text to anyone who feels their life is incomplete without it.

As for the other problems, well, can't help you there. It exists, and you'll be welcomed if you turn up there, that's as much as I can say.
Derek Gee
2012-07-22 05:04:10 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Hello, old friends.
We try to moderate NitrateVille as little as possible.
And that's probably true, but Censorship is still Censorship. IMO, the 3D
POTO thread should have had the offending posts removed and then locked.
Removing ALL the posts was going too far.
Post by m***@gmail.com
That said, the fact that the possibility exists has successfully curbed the
worst tendencies >that wrecked AMS even before Usenet, in general, was lost
to spammers.
Usenet was never lost to spammers. It was lost to that clown, Andrew Cuomo,
the Attorney General of New York, who pressured the ISP's to drop it by
claiming that Child Pornographers were using it, when in fact they weren't.
Once most of the ISP's dropped it, particpation collapsed.

b***@gmail.com
2012-07-13 23:42:53 UTC
That's all: Just too bad.
I know. . I however am still here. http://***@webs.com. Silent film buffs passing through are invited to check out my new site. Silent comedy shorts at only $1 per reel and silent features $4.99 each , 5 for $20 postpaid in the USA.
Bill Sprague
2018-05-22 17:02:33 UTC
silentsaregreatgetridofthebullshitters
Bill Sprague
2018-05-22 17:04:25 UTC
nitratevilleisbullshit
j***@gmail.com
2020-01-05 08:07:23 UTC
Buy real driver's license www.validdocumentsonline.com buy passport, identity card, visa, residents permit, usa green card, ielts, toefl, gmat whatsapp +1(954)299-3523 /***@gmail.com
Buy counterfeit money online https://validdocumentsonline.com counterfeit pounds, dollars, euros, passports, driver's license, ssn, ielts, resident permits
At validdocuments we produce original passport, driver's license, identity cards, visas, green cards, resident stamps permit and other documents for the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Finland, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Great Britain, USA, Canada and many more. At validdocuments we offer you one of the best services in the world. Most customers have experienced our true and excellent service. We guarantee 100% legit. We assure our customers that they produce and deliver their documents in a short time.
Note that the current document is registered in the country database system, so you can easily travel to a country of your choice. Our documents have all security features, such as:
Buy high quality undetectable counterfeit money https://validdocumentsonline.com counterfeit pounds, dollars, euros, passports, driver's license, ssn, ielts, resident permits

Apply for real passport [whatsApp +1(954)299-3523] driver's license, ID Cards https://validdocumentsonline.com SSN, Birth Certificates, Visas, Diplomas, Divorce Certificate, Gun License, Adoption Certificates, Marriage Certificate, Residence Permit, Diplomas
BUY COUNTERFEIT GREAT BRITISH POUNDS ONLINE, BUY COUNTERFEIT BANK NOTES/ https://validdocumentsonline.com/100-undetectable-counterfeit-money BUY COUNTERFEIT EURO BANK NOTES, BUY COUNTERFEIT DOLLAR BANK NOTES, BUY COUNTERFEIT POUNDS BANK NOTES, BUY COUNTERFEIT BANK NOTES FOR ALL COUNTRIES
real registered passports www.validdocumentsonline.com driver's license (whatsapp +1(954)299-3523) buy visa, identity card (***@gmail.com) www.validdocumentsonline.com
And we offer FAST and express delivery to our customers
We only offer original passport, driver's license, identity cards, visas, stamps and other documents for the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Finland, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Great Britain, USA and some others.
We offer you one of the best services in the world. Most customers have experienced our true service.

Buy passport online
Buy online passport
buy identity card online
Buy online driving license
Buy the residence permit online
Buy/Get Citizenship Online
Buy Online Documents

Our website .. https://validdocumentsonline.com

https://validdocumentsonline.com

https://validdocumentsonline.com

https://validdocumentsonline.com

Contact emails ......... ***@gmail.com

WHATSAPP .........+1(954)299-3523

Skype ........ ricardoclemenson

Fake passport online
buy fake ID card
Buy a driving license
buy fake documents online

https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-real-and-fake-passports-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-resident-permits/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-usa-visa/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/100-undetectable-counterfeit-money/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/100-undetectable-counterfeit-money/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/about-us/

buy real and fake passport
buy real and fake driver's license
Buy a real and false identity card
buy real and false citizenship
buy real and false citizenship
Buy real and fake papers

https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-drivers-license/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
https://www.validdocumentsonline.com/buy-ielts-toefl-online/
Buy real registered EU passports
Buy passport online
Purchase an identity card online
Buy driving license online
Buy the residence permit online
Buy / receive citizenship online
Buy real and fake documents online
Buy UK passports
Real passports USA (USA),
Buy Real Belgian passports,
Real Brazilian (Brazil) passports,
Real Canadian (Canadian) passports,
Buy Real Finnish passports,
Buy Real French Passports,
Buy Genuine German passports,
Buy Genuine Dutch passports,
Royal israeli passports,
Get real passports from the United Kingdom (United Kingdom),
Buy Real Spanish (Spain) passports,
Buy Real Mexican (Mexico) passports,
Buy a real South African passport.
Buy real Australian driving licenses,
Buy real Canadian driving licenses,
Buy real French (France) driving licenses.
Legit Dutch (Holland / Netherlands) driving licenses,
Real Estate German (Germany) driving licenses,
Sale Real UK (United Kingdom) driving licenses,
Purchase of genuine diplomatic passports
Sell ??real USA (USA) passports,
Buy Real Australian Passports,
Buy Belgium passports,
Buy real Brazilian (Brazil) passports,