Dwan Film Book
frlom2
2014-11-26 20:23:40 UTC
I was glad to receive the latest digest report which reminds me that this group is still very much alive.

I hope that it will be of interest to members here who haven't heard of it that last year my book on director Allan Dwan, ALLAN DWAN AND THE RISE AND DECLINE OF THE HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS was published by McFarland & Co. The book also prompted a 40 film retrospective of Dwan's work at the Museum of Modern Art. That retrospective was later cited with a Film Heritage award by the National Society of Film Critics. The link on the retro is at:

http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1374

This group was also helpful to me in writing the book as messages by two members of this group, Bob Birchard and James Roots provided me with important information on Dwan and I am very grateful for their revelations and cooperation.

This is a large book (8.5" x 11") with two columns of text on each page. It also includes 150 illustrations which are integrated with the text to help tell the story. The first half of the book profiles Dwan during the silent era with the second half concerned with his work in the sound era and the years following the end of his directorial career.

The price of the book was recently lowered by the publisher and of course better deals are often available on Amazon and other sites.

On both the McFarland website and its Amazon page for the book you can see kudos for the book from various reviewers and film historians. But I am especially pleased with the most recent review which it received from the Bright Lights Film Journal which features an in-depth discussion of the book.
The link is at:

http://brightlightsfilm.com/book-review-allan-dwan-rise-decline-hollywood-studios/#.VHV8HmcjHFx

I know that there are a number of authors and aspiring authors in this group and I hope that you will receive at least one review such as this which goes into detail on some of the things you were trying to achieve in your book.

It was also especially gratifying that the reviewer praised the book for going into such detail on Dwan's silent film career and not just skimming over that period. So it's great to know that critics with that perspective are out there.

And thanks for taking the time to read this.

Best,
Frederic Lombardi
s***@optonline.net
2014-12-02 22:22:00 UTC
Post by frlom2
[...]
A recent post serves as a reminder that while I mentioned two gentlemen on this group who assisted me with this book I neglected to include someone else.

Bruce Calvert kindly provided me with two photos for my book. He is, of course, listed in my Acknowledgments and I would again like to thank him here for his help.

I'm sorry if there is anyone else here whom I didn't mention.

Take care,
Fred