my new book on D. W. Griffith
R***@aol.com
2012-08-06 20:27:29 UTC
Those of you who still frequent alt.movies.silent may find my new book on D. W. Griffith of particular interest. Entitled "Mr. Griffith's House with Closed Shutters: The Long-Buried Secret That Turned Lawrence Into D. W.," it deals with a dramatic period in nGriffith's early life that, until now, has been completely unknown and undocumented in the existing biographical accounts. Utilizing material that has been buried in obscurity for over a hundred years, I believe that my book has solved what was the fundamental mystery of Griffith's life and its subsequent effect on his work. Here is the page on my website announcing its publication with a link to Amazon where it can be purchased for $24.95: http://william-m-drew.webs.com/newbookondwgriffith.htm It has been favorably reviewed by the noted film historian Robert S. Birchard at: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15737269-mr-griffith-s-house-with-closed-shutters There is also a very positive review by John McElwee of both "Mr. Griffith's House with Closed Shutters" and my earlier book, "The Last Silent Picture Show: Silent Films on American Screens in the 1930s," at Greenbriar Picture Shows, his excellent film history blog, at: http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html

William M. Drew
Igenlode Wordsmith
2012-08-06 21:44:46 UTC
"***@aol.com" <***@aol.com> wrote in message <304341f7-0578-4377-ae46-***@googlegroups.com>

[snip]
Post by R***@aol.com
There is also a very positive review by John McElwee of both "Mr.
Griffith's House with Closed Shutters" and my earlier book, "The Last
Silent Picture Show: Silent Films on American Screens in the 1930s," at
http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html
Some fascinating material on Errol Flynn at this location, but I think
you probably meant to give
http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/book-choices-one-two-from-william-drew.html
as the specific link?
--
Igenlode Wordsmith

A.B.C.D.E.F. "To Errol's human, but to Flynn -- divine"
m***@gmail.com
2012-08-24 00:50:47 UTC
I read the book on my camping trip. I write about it here:

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12997

Very short version: amazing discovery, well worth supporting such work
by buying the book yourself.