Duck Soup WITHOUT SOUND
Max Nineteennineteen
2003-11-22 01:38:41 UTC
Hi, my name is Max Nineteennineteen and I'm a filmmaker. I'm going to
take Duck Soup and remove the audio track and replace it with an
industrial synth-techno soundtrack full of feedback loops, because
I've thought for too long that the fastpaced repartee and wordplay
were getting in the way of McCarey's pure visual poetry.
Flying A
2003-11-22 02:52:29 UTC
I'm Flying A and I'm a pedant. I've often thought that the visual images
of Metropolis were just too stunning so I'm going to refilm it with the
lens cap on. Does anybody have the Moroder 8 track I can boot, uh,
borrow?

Nancy
PhantomXCI
2003-11-22 06:00:44 UTC
Hi. My name is Ted Turner, and I'm going to colorize the first half-hour of
THE WIZARD OF OZ.

Jay Salsberg
Brent McKee
2003-11-22 17:23:43 UTC
Post by PhantomXCI
Hi. My name is Ted Turner, and I'm going to colorize the first half-hour of
THE WIZARD OF OZ.
Hi. My name is Brent McKee and I'm going to remove the color from the
last hour of "Wizard of Oz" so that it matches the pure simplicity of
the black and white of the first half hour.

I've also got this project on the back burner to replace the score of
"The Adventures of Robin Hood" with the much more modern Brian Adams
music from "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".
--
Brent McKee

To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from
the email address

"If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly,
in one which is infinitely worse."
- Margaret Atwood

"Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more
constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of
openness to novelty. "
- Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)
R H Draney
2003-11-22 06:08:16 UTC
I'm da Doctah and I'm a dilletante composer and musician...I'm working on an
updated version of John Cage's _4'33"_ with new instrumentation...instead of one
performer coming out and sitting at a silent piano for 273 seconds, I envision
an entire brass marching band in full 19th-century regalia coming on stage in
formation and standing perfectly still for the same interval before
departing....

Max Nineteennineteen
2003-11-22 14:59:26 UTC
Post by R H Draney
I'm da Doctah and I'm a dilletante composer and musician...I'm working on an
updated version of John Cage's _4'33"_ with new instrumentation...instead of one
performer coming out and sitting at a silent piano for 273 seconds, I envision
an entire brass marching band in full 19th-century regalia coming on stage in
formation and standing perfectly still for the same interval before
departing....
Only they'll all be barefoot....r
I've always loved the fact that Cage was actually beat to this gag by
the jukebox company that put out a record called Three Minutes of
Silence (so people who were sick of the music could actually buy a
little relief at the same price as a song). Pretentious avant-garde
types are no match for the ingenuity of low-culture entrepreneurs in
America...
Jeff C.
2003-11-22 07:35:02 UTC
Post by Max Nineteennineteen
I'm going to
take Duck Soup and remove the audio track and replace it with an
industrial synth-techno soundtrack full of feedback loops
Please submit your completed work to TCM's "Young Composer" panel of judges, as
it seems precisely the sort of work they encourage.
Lokke Heiss
2003-11-23 05:01:40 UTC
Post by Brent McKee
I've also got this project on the back burner to replace the score of
"The Adventures of Robin Hood" with the much more modern Brian Adams
music from "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".
I'm glad to see the AMS'ers are taking up my challenge of
experimenting with our film heritage.

Here's an idea that's stunning in its simplicity: Let's take a look at
George Lucas' Star Wars movies and just take all reels of The Phantom
Menance and Attack of the Clones and throw them in the trash can in
back of the studio. No mix, no fuss, just a straight dump to the
trash. Then, start the story right at the point where Empire soldiers
are menacing the Princess, at the place now called The New Hope, and
let's start the story there.

I know this is incredibly radical, but something seems to tell me that
we can get away with this.
R H Draney
2003-11-23 19:19:42 UTC
Post by Lokke Heiss
I'm glad to see the AMS'ers are taking up my challenge of
experimenting with our film heritage.
Here's an idea that's stunning in its simplicity: Let's take a look at
George Lucas' Star Wars movies and just take all reels of The Phantom
Menance and Attack of the Clones and throw them in the trash can in
back of the studio. No mix, no fuss, just a straight dump to the
trash. Then, start the story right at the point where Empire soldiers
are menacing the Princess, at the place now called The New Hope, and
let's start the story there.
I know this is incredibly radical, but something seems to tell me that
we can get away with this.
We'll get started on it right after we finish our remake of HOWARD THE
DUCK...oh, and we still need to line up the funding for next summer's GIGLI
II....r
Eric Stott
2003-11-23 21:24:14 UTC
Post by R H Draney
We'll get started on it right after we finish our remake of HOWARD THE
DUCK...oh, and we still need to line up the funding for next summer's GIGLI
II....r
"Thank Heavens for Grown-Up Girls....
for Grown-Up Girls give birth to Little Girls..."

Stott
R H Draney
You might want to go back and read my post a *little* closer....r
Eric Stott
2003-11-24 10:57:03 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Eric Stott
Post by R H Draney
We'll get started on it right after we finish our remake of HOWARD THE
DUCK...oh, and we still need to line up the funding for next summer's GIGLI
II....r
"Thank Heavens for Grown-Up Girls....
for Grown-Up Girls give birth to Little Girls..."
You might want to go back and read my post a *little* closer....r
Oh I'm sorry- you're right. I completely blotted GIGLI from my mind.

Now a sequel to "Gigi" would STILL be quite strange........

Stott
Precode
2003-11-24 19:52:12 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by Lokke Heiss
I'm glad to see the AMS'ers are taking up my challenge of
experimenting with our film heritage.
Here's an idea that's stunning in its simplicity: Let's take a look at
George Lucas' Star Wars movies and just take all reels of The Phantom
Menance and Attack of the Clones and throw them in the trash can in
back of the studio. No mix, no fuss, just a straight dump to the
trash. Then, start the story right at the point where Empire soldiers
are menacing the Princess, at the place now called The New Hope, and
let's start the story there.
I know this is incredibly radical, but something seems to tell me that
we can get away with this.
We'll get started on it right after we finish our remake of HOWARD THE
DUCK...oh, and we still need to line up the funding for next summer's GIGLI
II....r
You mean GIGLI RELOADED.

Mike S.
(currently cutting all the songs out of MY FAIR LADY; my new version
will be called PYGMALION)
R H Draney
2003-11-25 00:04:43 UTC
Post by Precode
Post by R H Draney
We'll get started on it right after we finish our remake of HOWARD THE
DUCK...oh, and we still need to line up the funding for next summer's GIGLI
II....r
You mean GIGLI RELOADED.
Much better than the subtitle I would have used:

GIGLI II: THE HORROR CONTINUES
Post by Precode
Mike S.
(currently cutting all the songs out of MY FAIR LADY; my new version
will be called PYGMALION)
Always felt that one ran a little long...now there'll be room for a
double-feature with my happy-ending remake of OLD YELLER....r
Tony Spadaro
2003-11-23 00:29:32 UTC
Whatever it is - I'm against it.
--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
Laughing Gravy
2003-11-23 16:55:49 UTC
I am working on an animated remake of Ron Howard's THE GRINCH. It'll
be a lot shorter, as we've taken out all the miscellaneous crap,
including the wife-swapping party in Whoville, and gone back to the
original story. Also, we've stumbled across a recording of BORIS
KARLOFF reading the book, and some wonderfully animated sequences by
the late, legendary Chuck Jones. If it's only a fraction as successful
as the Jim Carrey version, we'll all be rich. RICH!!!!
Eric Stott
2003-11-23 17:07:50 UTC
Post by Laughing Gravy
I am working on an animated remake of Ron Howard's THE GRINCH. It'll
be a lot shorter, as we've taken out all the miscellaneous crap,
including the wife-swapping party in Whoville
Who's Who Is Who's?

Stott
Lincoln Spector
2003-11-23 21:46:17 UTC
Post by Max Nineteennineteen
Hi, my name is Max Nineteennineteen and I'm a filmmaker. I'm going to
take Duck Soup and remove the audio track and replace it with an
industrial synth-techno soundtrack full of feedback loops, because
I've thought for too long that the fastpaced repartee and wordplay
were getting in the way of McCarey's pure visual poetry.
Well, my name is meaningless and I've got a solution to the controversy that
still surrounds Birth of a Nation. I'm doing a new release of the film, but
it will use a negative, rather than positive image. That way, it will have a
positive, rather than negative, image of black people.

Of course, it will have a negative, rather than positive image of white
people, but we're fixing that with a negative release of Glory.

Lincoln
Eric Stott
2003-11-23 23:01:39 UTC
Post by Lincoln Spector
Post by Max Nineteennineteen
Hi, my name is Max Nineteennineteen and I'm a filmmaker. I'm going to
take Duck Soup and remove the audio track and replace it with an
industrial synth-techno soundtrack full of feedback loops, because
I've thought for too long that the fastpaced repartee and wordplay
were getting in the way of McCarey's pure visual poetry.
Well, my name is meaningless and I've got a solution to the controversy that
still surrounds Birth of a Nation. I'm doing a new release of the film, but
it will use a negative, rather than positive image. That way, it will have a
positive, rather than negative, image of black people.
Of course, it will have a negative, rather than positive image of white
people, but we're fixing that with a negative release of Glory.
Lincoln
How about a negative release of OTHELLO...

"Your sins are as white as your face..."

Stott
Mr. Moose
2003-11-28 15:14:27 UTC
Post by Max Nineteennineteen
Hi, my name is Max Nineteennineteen and I'm a filmmaker. I'm going to
take Duck Soup and remove the audio track and replace it with an
industrial synth-techno soundtrack full of feedback loops, because
I've thought for too long that the fastpaced repartee and wordplay
were getting in the way of McCarey's pure visual poetry.
Hi, my name is Mark Pollock and I'm an idiot with a computer. I'm
going to take all of the silent films of Charlie Chaplin and remove
the mustache, because I recently found out that Chaplin didn't
actually have a mustache, and what is on the screen is simply a fake
mustache. Max, you might want to consider doing this with Groucho, as
I've heard rumor that his mustache was fake too, though it's hard for
me to tell.

Mark