question about 16mm griffith shorts
Descartes
2008-10-20 16:56:50 UTC
i juist found out that a local collector found a cache of d.w.
griffith shorts, all of them are in 16mm. can anyone give me an idea
of what these films might be worth? thanks. the titles are:

A Baby’s Shoe (1909)
A Beast At Bay (1912)
A Smoked Husband (1908)
A Strange Meeting (1909)
An Awful Moment (1908)
At The Altar (1909)
Balked At The Altar (1908)
Betrayed By A Handprint (1908) Fools Of Fate (1909)
For Love of Gold (1908)
His Trust (1911)
His Trust Fulfilled (1911)
In Life’s Cycle (1910)
In Old Kentucky (1909)
Iola’s Promise (1912)
Midnight Cupid (1910)
Money Mad (1908)
Pippa Passes (1909)
Politician’s Love Story (1909)
Ramona (1910)
The Adventures of Dolly (1908)
The Christmas Burglars (1908)
The Country Doctor (1909)
The Cricket On The Hearth (1909)
The Curtain Pole (1909)
The Devil (1908)
The Girl And Her Trust (1912)
The Goddess Of Sag ebrush Gulch (1912)
The Golden Louis (1909)
The Ingrate (1908)
The Lonely Villa (1909)
The Marked Time Table (1910)
The Medicine Bottle (1909)
The Oath and The Man (1910)
The Pirate’s Gold (1908)
The Redman And The Child (1908)
The Resurrection (1910)
The Sacrifice (1909)
The Slave (1909)
The Two Paths (1911)
The Valet’s Wife (1908)
The Violin Maker Of Cremona (1909)
The Way Of The World (1910)
The Would Elope (1909)
Those Awful Hats (1909)
To Save Her Soul (1909)
When A Man Loves (1911)
Where Breakers Roar (1908)
Winning Back His Love (1910)
Bruce Calvert
2008-10-20 20:22:53 UTC
Their worth is dependent on several things like the quality of the
preprint material, the number of splices, the number of scratches,
whether or not they have vinegar syndrome, and whether or not they
have a soundtrack. Some of these titles were released by Blackhawk
and EmGee, and others I have not seen on 16mm before. If these are
from Library of Congress paper prints instead of the original
negatives at the Museum of Modern Art, then they will not be worth as
much. Killiam prints (released for TV) are not worth as much because
they have Paul Killiams narration and may have some intertitles
missing.

There's not a ton of collectors that prize 16mm Griffith Biograph
shorts. If you attempt to sell them all at one time you will
overwhelm the demand. THOSE AWFUL HATS and THE GIRL AND HER TRUST are
pretty common. Assuming that these are in good condition, you should
be able to get $25 -$100 for the one reel films, with a few really
rare ones going higher.

Bruce Calvert
Bruce Calvert
2008-11-03 19:50:36 UTC
These are definitely not all Blackhawk prints, as Blackhawk never
offered many of these titles. I'm guessing that some could be from
the NY Museum of Modern Art, which has an extensive 16mm collection of
these, or from the Library of Congress Paper Print collection. That
would make some of them rare, but there still are not many people who
collect early D.W. Griffith Biograph titles, outside of a few famous
titles like THE LONELY VILLA.

A Baby’s Shoe (1909)
A Beast At Bay (1912) Film Preservation Associates, Griggs-Moviedrome,
Reel Images, Blackhawk (8mm formats only)
A Smoked Husband (1908)
A Strange Meeting (1909)
An Awful Moment (1908)
At The Altar (1909)
Balked At The Altar (1908)
Betrayed By A Handprint (1908)
Fools Of Fate (1909)
For Love of Gold (1908)
His Trust (1911) Film Preservation Assocates, Thunderbird, Morcraft
His Trust Fulfilled (1911)
In Life’s Cycle (1910)
In Old Kentucky (1909)
Iola’s Promise (1912)
Midnight Cupid (1910)
Money Mad (1908)
Pippa Passes (1909) Blackhawk (8mm formats only)
Politician’s Love Story (1909)
Ramona (1910)
The Adventures of Dolly (1908) Blackhawk, Niles
The Christmas Burglars (1908)
The Country Doctor (1909) Blackhawk (8mm formats only)
The Cricket On The Hearth (1909)
The Curtain Pole (1909) Reel Images, Griggs-Moviedrome, Morcraft
The Devil (1908)
The Girl And Her Trust (1912) Blackhawk, Film Preservation Associates
The Goddess Of Sagebrush Gulch (1912) Blackhawk (8mm formats only),
Reel Images, EmGee
The Golden Louis (1909)
The Ingrate (1908)
The Lonely Villa (1909) Blackhawk, Film Preservation Associates,
Emgee, Golden Era Films, Reel Images
The Marked Time Table (1910)
The Medicine Bottle (1909)
The Oath and The Man (1910) EmGee
The Pirate’s Gold (1908)
The Redman And The Child (1908)
The Resurrection (1910) Blackhawk (8mm formats only)
The Sacrifice (1909)
The Slave (1909)
The Two Paths (1911) Blackhawk, EmGee
The Valet’s Wife (1908)
The Violin Maker Of Cremona (1909) Blackhawk, Reel Images, EmGee
The Way Of The World (1910)
The Would Elope (1909)
Those Awful Hats (1909) Blackhawk, Film Preservation Associates
To Save Her Soul (1909)
When A Man Loves (1911) Blackhawk (8mm formats only)
Where Breakers Roar (1908)
Winning Back His Love (1910) Blackhawk (8mm formats only)

Other Titles:
(I suspect that all of these were sold by Blackhawk, but I've only
actually seen a listing for one. I have Benchley's HOW TO TAKE A
VACATION from Blackhawk.)
Waiting For Baby - Robert Benchley - 1941
Nothing But Nerves - Robert Benchley – 1942
The Witness – Robert Benchley – 1942 Blackhawk
The Forgotten Man – Robert Benchley – 1941